Discovery Green is in the center of the city, surrounded by the George R. Brown Convention Center, Minute Maid Park, corporate office buildings and a number of bars and restaurants. However, there is much more to this urban park than its location.
The park offers endless options when it comes to entertainment. Naturally, we wanted to try all Discovery Green had to offer. Unfortunately, we didn’t have the time for all of it. So we skipped the power yoga class and opted to try out the incredibly entertaining listening vessels, followed by a quick sprint through the Mist Tree to cool off. Be warned, the “mist” is more like a super soaker than a light spray of water.
Don’t let our childish antics fool you. Discovery Green is not a park just for kids. The schedule of daily activities is sure to keep patrons of all ages occupied. There are workout classes, concerts, and even ice skating in the winter. We are particularly excited to try out the nighttime flea market that is hosted on the third Saturday of every month.
Day or night, Discovery Green is a place for some wholesome fun in the heart Downtown Houston. While it offers a family-friendly setting, it’s also perfect for adults spending time with their friends. It really is a one-stop shop for entertainment. So, if you find yourself downtown with time to spare be sure to check out Discovery Green’s calendar.
• There are tons of restaurants in the area, including two within the park, The Lake House and The Grove.
• Take a guided audio tour of the park. Download it at, http://www.audisseyguides.com/houston/discoverygreen.html
• You can rent scale-model boats to sail in the lake on weekends from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Discovery Green is dog friendly.
1500 McKinney, Houston, Texas 77010 Right across the street from George R. Brown
Discovery Green: 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Gateway Fountain: 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Park Office: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• Metered Street Parking – Admission may be free, but parking isn’t. There are parking garages, metered street parking and surface lots all around the area. We suggest parking on the street; it’s only $1.50 for an hour or $3.00 for the afternoon.
• Paid Lots
Yes, yes, and yes! Great for adults, big kids and your little ones too.